News Alert: Buyers BEWARE, Businesses BEWARE… Sales tax rates changing for Atlanta & Fulton County

New Sales Tax Rate in Atlanta

Taxes Going UpBeginning March 1, 2017, the local sales and use tax rate in Atlanta increased from 1% to 1.5%. When combined with the Fulton County rate of 7%, the new state and local rate in the city became 8.5%.

The total sales tax rate in Atlanta will increase again on April 1, 2017, rising from 8.5% to 8.9% percent, when the Atlanta TSPLOST is imposed.

New Sales Tax Rate in Fulton County-Outside City of Atlanta

Outside of Atlanta but still in Fulton County, the sales tax rate will rise from 7% to 7.75% beginning April 1, 2017, when collection of the Fulton TSPLOST begins.

What is the Rate Increase for?

The rate increase is due to the imposition of a new 0.5% Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) sales and use tax, which was approved by voters on November 8, 2016. It’s expected to generate approximately $2.5 billion over the next 40 years, money that will go toward improving the existing high-capacity rail system, building new infill rail stations, purchasing new buses, and adding bus routes and service.

How was This Rate Increase Authorized?

Senate Bill 369, as passed by Georgia General Assembly in the 2015-2016 legislative session, authorized the City of Atlanta to hold a referendum to levy a sales tax (known as the Atlanta MARTA Sales Tax) for the purpose of expanding and enhancing its rapid transit system.

The bill likewise authorized the City of Atlanta and Fulton County to hold referendums for the levy of transportation special purpose local option sales taxes (known as the Atlanta TSPLOST and the Fulton TSPLOST, respectively).

On November 8, 2016, the electorate of the City of Atlanta voted to levy the Atlanta MARTA Sales Tax at a rate of 0.5% beginning March 1, 2017. The voters also elected to levy the Atlanta TSPLOST at a rate of 0.4% beginning April 1, 2017.

Similarly, on November 8, 2016, the electorate of Fulton County voted to levy the Fulton TSPLOST in Fulton County outside the City of Atlanta only at a rate of 0.75% beginning April 1, 2017.

To find out more go to: View the official DOR announcement.

Speak Your Mind

*