If you are one of those adrenalin-junkies who waits until the last minute to file your taxes, you’ll have a few more days to fill the rush this year – thanks to Emancipation Day. Observance of this low-profile federal holiday, which was created to commemorate the end of slavery, has
S.J. Gorowitz Accounting & Tax Services, P.C. celebrates the latest tax deduction added to our family with the birth of Senior Associate Jane Ho’s son on December 24, 2016. Nam Nguyen weighed 6lbs. 13 oz. and measured 20 inches. Proud father Thao Nguyen and big sister Eileen have been enjoying
New Sales Tax Rate in Atlanta Beginning March 1, 2017, the local sales and use tax rate in Atlanta increased from 1% to 1.5%. When combined with the Fulton County rate of 7%, the new state and local rate in the city became 8.5%. The total sales tax rate in
Now that we have gotten settled into 2017, it’s time to get ready to prepare for tax filing season. The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for years has advocated for more logical and sensible due dates for income tax returns. As a result, new due dates will go
Until now, employers had two dates to keep in mind when preparing 1099’s and W-2s. Beginning with 2016 forms, employers will now have one filing deadline for all Federal information returns – January 31, 2017. This applies for both employee and agency copies, or whether filing paper or electronic returns.
Each year, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) sets standard mileage rates for business based on an annual study of fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile, including depreciation, insurance, repairs, tires, maintenance, gas and oil. Beginning on Jan. 1, 2017, the standard mileage rates for the use of a