Growing the SJG Team, One Family Member at a Time

Nam Nguyen

S.J. Gorowitz Accounting & Tax Services, P.C. celebrates the latest tax deduction added to our family with the birth of Senior Associate Jane Ho’s son on December 24, 2016. Nam Nguyen weighed 6lbs. 13 oz. and measured 20 inches. Proud father Thao Nguyen and big sister Eileen have been enjoying their time with the growing family during Jane’s maternity leave. … [Read more...]

News Alert: Buyers BEWARE, Businesses BEWARE… Sales tax rates changing for Atlanta & Fulton County

Taxes Going Up

New Sales Tax Rate in Atlanta Beginning March 1, 2017, the local sales and use tax rate in Atlanta increased from 1% to 1.5%. When combined with the Fulton County rate of 7%, the new state and local rate in the city became 8.5%. The total sales tax rate in Atlanta will increase again on April 1, 2017, rising from 8.5% to 8.9% percent, when the Atlanta TSPLOST is imposed. New Sales Tax Rate in Fulton County-Outside City of Atlanta Outside of Atlanta but still in Fulton County, the sales tax rate will rise from 7% to 7.75% beginning April 1, 2017, when collection of the Fulton TSPLOST begins. What is the Rate Increase for? The rate increase is due to the imposition of a new 0.5% Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) sales and use tax, which was approved by voters on November 8, 2016. It’s expected to generate approximately $2.5 billion over the next 40 years, money that will go toward improving the existing high-capacity rail system, building new infill rail … [Read more...]

Operational Efficiencies Part II – Rules of the Game


In Part I of our Operational Efficiencies series: Getting Business Owners in the Driver's Seat, we described the importance of including all of your team members in the Operational Efficiencies Improvement process in order to fully capture ideas that come from differing perspectives, drive improvements throughout the company and promote contributions, buy-in and ownership. Further, we discussed setting criteria in order to prioritize which suggestions, ideas and initiatives to pursue. … [Read more...]

Andrea Utsey Obtains Professional Firm Manager Designation


The CPA Firm Management Association Recognizes SJG Administrator as a Public Accounting Firm Manager Alpharetta, GA. February 15, 2016 – S.J. Gorowitz Accounting & Tax Services, P.C. (SJG), a boutique CPA firm supporting expanding and emerging businesses and their owners, is pleased to announce that Firm Administrator, Andrea Utsey, has been awarded the CPA Firm Management Association’s (CPAFMA) Public Accounting Firm Manager (PAFM) certification. This prominent designation recognizes Utsey’s knowledge and professional experience in accounting practice management. “We have always known that Andrea is a first-class administrator,” said Stacey Gorowitz, Founding Principal and CEO of SJG. “Now, she has the PAFM designation to underscore it. This credential demonstrates Andrea’s unparalleled level of competence and masterful skill set, without which our firm would not be where it is today.” … [Read more...]